"I will not leave you as orphans. I will come for you!" John 14:18

Our hearts have been burdened for a baby girl in Ethiopia....follow along as we go get her!

"I will not leave you as orphans. I will come for you!" John 14:18

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Last Day in Addis....written from the plane.


12/9/2010

Wednesday

We woke up Wednesday dreading it and ready for it all at the same time.  It was the day we had to leave Audra halfway around the world, but it was also the day we got to get home to the boys….well, we will get home to them tonight.  We’ve been awake for 38 hours at this point and have been on a plane for 12.5 hours will over 5 to go.  Being on a plane for this long, I’ve discovered isn’t so scary, but just makes me want to lose my mind b/c you can’t move!  I’d give anything to be 5” tall and 100 lbs right now! 

Wednesday morning we got up early and went up to Entoto Mountain, where there is a palace, St. Mary’s Orthodox Christian Church, a museum, and nice fresh air!  It was a good break from the crazy pollution in Addis. (I held a mask over my face most of the time b/c all the pollution burned my throat and made me a little nauseous).  We had a great tour of the things up there, but were not allowed to go into the church.  I really wanted to, though, b/c there were some nice drum beats coming from in there!





We went back down the mountain, often following donkeys carrying huge loads of hay running down the mountain with someone running after them.  There were also women on the side of the road picking up dried eucalyptus leaves….not quite sure what they were going to do with them, but they were working really hard. 

On our way down the mountain, apparently it wore our driver’s poor old Toyota Corolla out b/c he had to pull over and change the spark plugs.  Poor guy!  I was just impressed that he not only had extras in his trunk, but that he just changed them right there on the side of the road!  After he was finished and the car wasn’t dying anymore, we went to the Alert Leper Compound to buy some handmade items from there.  There was not tons to choose from, but it was all beautiful and we knew our money was staying there to help out the women who were literally sitting in the yard sewing these beautiful things.  We then went back down to Churchill Street for a few more goodies and then headed to see our girl!!!

It was a rough afternoon with her.  We were trying so hard to enjoy it, but crying on and off b/c we didn’t want to leave her sweet little face….AT ALL!!!  But it was sweet b/c every time I was crying, she would just smile and grab my face, like she was trying to tell me it was ok.  Oh, how I love that baby! 



We probably totally broke her schedule b/c I never took her in for her nap, but just held her outside while she slept.  I did have to take her in a feeding time…she was crying with me.  Apparently I was doing it wrong!  The nanny said “you feed her too slow.  Have to feed her fast!”  and she was right!  She started shoveling it in her mouth and Audra was a happy girl again.  Then, 5 o’clock came and it was time to hand her over.  RIPPED OUR HEARTS OUT!!!  The nanny just kept saying “Don’t cry.  She’s ok.  You be back in one month.  Please don’t cry.”  Oh, how I hope she’s right!!!!  (b/c I’m sitting here bawling on the plane as I type this)

This is one of the sweet nannies a the transition house.  They truly love the babies!!!


8 o’clock rolled around quickly and Dawit, our driver  (I was calling him David al week.  Oops!) was there to take us to that crazy airport again!  Ugh.  Leaving at 11:30pm is rough.  I truly hope we have him again when we got back to get her…he was a very nice guy! 

I’m so thankful for our time in Addis Ababa.  I’ll try to write more about lessons learned later, but right now I’m too much of a mess to do that.  Seeing what you see there takes a little time to process, but I know one thing is for sure….Addis Ababa, Ethiopia changed us and for that, we are thankful.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your baby girl! She is beautiful! That really is too weird about our Honey & Pops! We have never heard of another set of grandparents with those names. We hope you get an embassy date very soon :)

    ReplyDelete